World Cup 2018 goals
Whilst it’s good to remember that it’s “taking part that counts”, we all know football is really about the goals, goals goals!!! Player and match statistics for World Cup 2018 are widely available but surprisingly I couldn’t find a data visualisation of the goals scored. The following visualisation provides detailed information about each goal and the scorer.
Small screen! Sorry, but if you're reading this you're probably using a mobile or tablet device. This data visualisation has not yet been optimised for viewing on mobile or tablet devices, and hence the experience will probably not be great. :-(
- Each goal is visualised as a dot showing where the ball was hit, with a straight line to where the ball crossed the goal-line.
- Hover over a dot to see detailed information about the goal and the scorer.
- Initially, all World Cup goals are displayed.
- Select a team from the ‘Country’ dropdown to show goals only for that country.
- Select a tournament stage from the ‘Round’ dropdown to show goals only for that round.
- Where two goals were scored from the same place (e.g. the penalty spot), the dots cluster as closely as possible to that point.
About the data
- The data was assembled manually, and personal assessment was used for certain data criteria e.g. whether a goal was a ‘team effort’ or ‘individual’.
- Match information is based on data from BBC Sport e.g. Group stages.
- Player information is based on data from Google search e.g. Edinson Cavani.
- Goal information is based on videos from BBC Sport e.g. England v Panama, and the official FIFA YouTube channel.